Saturday 16 March 2013

a handmade living

So . . . a few weeks ago I had an exciting phone call from the very extraordinarily nice people at Handmade Living magazine. They were doing a circus issue, they said, and wanted to feature my work, they said. Ooh, that's nice, I said, and imagined a little mention somewhere.

It turned out to be a bit more than that. How my heart raced when my husband returned from town, a copy in hand, and I flicked through not one, not two, but six pages of Butterscotch & Beesting (if you count a mention on the front page - which I definitely am).

I got a whole armful of goosebumps when I read Elaine Pearson's words about the imaginary world I've been building. I felt like she had climbed under the canvas of my mind and explored the circus until she knew every part of it. Seeing the issue for the first time was probably, or almost definitely, one of the best days I've ever had.

From now on, anytime I feel a bit low, overworked or overwhelmed, I've promised my family I will get out my magazine and disappear in its lovely pages and India's beautiful photos.

PS. It's the April issue and it's out now. 



7 comments:

  1. Wheeee! Fantastic, about time your circus received the recongnition it REALLY deserves!

    P.S. We have a tabby called Otto too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! That's so funny. James Green (my friend the printmaker) has a cat called Otto too. Maybe we should get all the Ottos together for a same-named-cat party. Fish cakes and crunchy biscuits on me!

      PS. Thanks Flora. It's such a nice piece.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, that would be so funny. The cats would be all awkward. My Otto would probably try and sniff your Otto's bum, then James Green's Otto would eat all the Go Cat and the other two would get in a strop.

      I probably need to get out more.

      Delete
  2. Well done, what a nice surprise! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, and so well deserved. Hope it brings you more excitement, goosebumps, happiness, recognition and success as the days go by! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh that's so exciting, good for you! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. And quite rightly so. I always knew you were destined for great things, from that very first card you drew me of the funky fairy, way back when we were wee students! I am in love with your work -and in particular, Bumblewick (but don't tell Mark....Or Betty). Love you xx

    ReplyDelete